How to prepare easily a puff pastry with béchamel, ham and mushroom at home.
This is one of my favorite recipe, I have been preparing it since 2 years ago. If you don’t want to bake the puff pastry, you can buy it at the supermarket. In this way, the preparation will be quicker.
Ingredients for the béchamel sauce:
- 500ml whole milk.
- 50 g butter.
- 50 g flour.
- Pinch of nutmeg.
- Salt to taste.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 150 g cooked ham.
- 150 g fresh mushrooms.
- 2 eggs.
- Oil to taste.
Preparation of béchamel for puff pastry with béchamel:
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Add 50g plain flour mixing thoroughly with a wooden spoon to form a small mixture called roux.
- Cook the roux (flour and butter) for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Then add 500ml whole milk to the roux gradually, stirring as you go, until you get a smooth creamy sauce.
- Cook for 5-10 mins, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened.
- Tip: After “6” minutes, when the liquid is starting to become creamy, take the whip and stir vigorously. In this way, you can avoid the formation of lumps. After 4 minutes, the béchamel is ready: It should be very even and quiet compact.
- Season to taste with salt and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
Preparation of Mushrooms for puff pastry with béchamel:
- Wash and cut mushroom. With your knife pointing forward, cut the mushroom into slices. You can cut the slices as thick or as thin as you like. (Thinner slices are best eaten raw; thicker slices are better for cooking.)
- Add oil to the pan. When the oil is hot add the mushrooms.
- Sauté the mushrooms (in a little oil) for about 10 minutes.
- Then season to taste adding chopped parsley and salt.
- Let it cook until tender. Set a side.
Preparation of the filling for puff pastry with béchamel:
- In a large bowl add the mushrooms, previously cooked, to the béchamel sauce.
- Cut the ham into strips and add it to the mixture.
- Add now the 2 eggs to the mixture.
- Add the grated Parmesan
- Mix vigorously the ingredients together for 5 minutes.
- Cover the pan with the puff pastry.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry.
- Bake at 180 degrees and until the pastry is cooked. The pastry is ready, when it is golden.
- When it cooked, let it cool down 10 minutes and serve it at warm temperature.
- Tip: if there is any left, don’t worry. You can storage in the fridge for few days, reheat in the oven and serve for lunch or dinner again.
Wishing you a lovely Sunday, I really hope that you will enjoy this recipe as much I did.
Alessandra Simple Recipes