How to prepare a Potato Onion Omelette recipe at home?
All know that The Spanish people love eggs and they are crazy about the Tortilla dish, but what people don’t know is that The Italians prepare amazing omelettes using the same ingredients calling the dish, Omelette with potatoes and onions instead of Tortilla.
Potato onion omelette (also known in Latin America as torta de papas or tortilla espanola while in Italy is called frittata) can be a great one-dish supper, thanks to simple ingredients that are often on hand. Add whatever else you find in the fridge: ham, bacon, courgettes, mushrooms, red peppers, and cheese all are good choices.
- A large onion, chopped
- 3 yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook together the onion until soft and potatoes in the oil, stirring frequently until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let cool the onions and potatoes on a kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, gently combine the eggs and the potatoes- onions mixture. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Then leave to cook for 10 mins , when the lower part of your omelette is cooked and it is solid enough, take some kitchen foil and coat the handle of the pan with it.
- Then transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the omelette is slightly puffy and the center is set (about 25 minutes).
- Notes: the cooking time depends on you oven, It might change if you increase the amount of eggs or potatoes and onions; more bigger is more time it can need to cook well.
- When it is ready, take the pan out the oven and arrange on a platter and serve it. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- You can serve sliced or as I did just like it is.
- Hope you will enjoy these two omelettes that you can serve with toothpicks or sliced as a cake at any party or meal as a starter or a main course.
More images from this Potato Onion Omelette Recipe