How to make an Italian flatbread (piadina) with cheese-speck and cheese-lonza.
The first time I tried a piadina was when I was living in Cesena with my family. I still remember it how it was yesterday. Sometime, I was just eating a plain one, others times I preferred eat a piadina filled with my favourite topics.
Today, I like to use one of my favourite topic: speck. Unlike prosciutto and other hams, speck is not made from the hind leg of the pig , but, from the shoulder and unlike other prosciutti, speck is deboned before curing.
So I decided to prepare my homemade piadina at home on 2011. I was pleased to discover how its taste was so familiar to me and how it is easy to bake piadina instead of buying it. I tried piadina with different topics and the most important thing I did, I stopped buying it at Italian shops.
Ingredients for 4 people
- cheese : 250 g
- speck : 250 g
- piadina dough (Here, I am explaining how to make piadina dough)
- a pinch of basil
Preparation of flatbread with speck:
- Brush each circle with the extra-virgin olive oil and cook for 4 minutes each side. Remove the piadina from the grill to cool slightly.
- Fill each piadina with 1-2 slides of Cheddar or Emmental cheese. Arrange 1-2 speck slices on top of the cheese.
- Cut each piadina into 2 or more wedges and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with the chopped basil.
- Tip: Instead of speck, you can combine also lonza with cheese. Lonza is a salami tasty for the amount of fat but not excessive enough to make it soft. In the Marche region is called loin.
- Tip: In central Italy (Umbria and Lazio) is that part of the loin also called Capocollo and is a sausage made from the neck of the pig that is deboned, salted and cured for at least 60 days.
Ingredients for a flatbread with lonza:
- cheese : 250 gr.
- lonza: 250 gr.
- piadina dough
- Spread each piadina with 1 slide of salumi.
- Arrange 1 lonza slice at the time on top of the cheese, twice. This depends on your taste. Sometimes I just use 1 slice of lonza and one of cheese.
- Cut each piadina into 2 or more wedges and transfer to a serving platter.
- Garnish with the chopped basil.
Hope you like these piadina bread as much I do each time.
To keep updated with my new recipes why do not follow me on my Facebook page?
Ale Simple Recipe