How to prepare the Italian diplomatico rum. The main ingredient is Chantilly cream.
The Chantilly cream, created by François Vatel in the seventeenth century, was named after the estate of the Prince of Conde (Chantilly, in fact), where he was superintendent of the kitchen.
The legendary cream is made fresh whipped cream (by hand, for the purists), vanilla berries and icing sugar in a proportion of 5 parts of cream and 1 sugar.
Among the creams used in confectionery for filling and decorating is definitely a favourite, as simple, light and exquisite taste, is often mixed with other creams, such as pastry, to make them more delicate and lightweight.
Preparation time: 1h
Cooking time 20 min
Cost: 10 €
Ingredients for the Diplomatico:
- Chantilly Cream (set aside)
- Trifle Sponge
- Shortcrust pastry (homemade or supermarket) – 375 g
- Alkermes Liqueur for decoration
- Cocoa Powder
- Tip: you can buy the shortcrust pastry in Lidl or Aldi.
- Rum Syrup (homemade)
- First, you have to prepare the syrup.
- Tip1: you can prepare the syrup in advance. If you don’t have rum at home you can use the rum flavour to prepare the syrup.
- Tip2: The ingredients are for 2 desserts.
Ingredients for syrup:
- 100 g Rum (alcoholic)
- Sugar 70 gr
- Water 30 gr
Ingredients for Chantilly Cream:
- Custard 200 ml (homemade or supermarket)
- Cream 200 ml
- Ice Sugar 3 tbs.
Tip: In the link, you can find the recipe for the homemade custard.
Preparation of syrup:
- Weigh 100 grams of rum
- Add 70 g of sugar to a small pot
- Then pour into the pot 30 g of water
- Melt the sugar until the colour is transparent.
- Now, pour the sugar water into the glass with rum
Preparation of Chantilly Cream
- Pour the cream into a bowl and whip cream with electric mixer until the cream is whipped.
- When it is whipped, gradually add the icing sugar to the cream.
- Tip: for a better result, I recommend to use a fresh and high quality cream.
- Now pour the custard into a second bowl
- Add the whipped cream to the custard.
- Mix well the whipped cream and the custard for 5 minutes. The result of these 2 creams is called Chantilly Cream.
Preparation of short pastry:
- Cut the shortcrust pastry in 5 parts and hole several times the pastry with a fork.
- Tip: I prepared 5 rectangles which are showed separately. I need 4 for the preparation of 2 desserts and 1 for the decoration.
- Sprinkle the pastries with icing sugar.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees and bake the puff pastry until golden.
- Once the pastry is cooked, let it to cool down.
- Cover the rectangles of pastry with ice sugar.
Now the preparation of the Diplomatico:
- Cover one rectangle with Chantilly cream
- if you like, you can add extra cream (see photo below)
- Wet the sponge with the rum. You can use a pastry brush to do it.
- Wet the sponge with Alkermes Liqueur on the long length. You can use a pastry brush to do it.
- The sponge is wet with rum and Alkermes Liqueur.
- Tip: If you don’t have Alkermes Liqueur, you can use the red colour for cakes.
- Cover the sponge with Chantilly Cream
- Cover the Chantilly cream with cocoa powder
- Cover the sponge with a second rectangle of pastry and sprinkle with icing sugar
- Tip: You should have 3 rectangles of puff pastry left.
- Finish adjusting the Diplomatico rum –> last step of the preparation
- Crumble a rectangle of puff pastry (the 5th one) and cover the external part of the Diplomatico rum where there is not liqueur (on the short length).
The Writing or Decoration:
- Melt chocolate in water bath
- Tip: you can decorate its top with your favourite quote, if it suits you. Example: Happy Birthday (Auguri)
- Keep the dessert in the fridge until 30 minute before serving.
- Now you can start the preparation the second Diplomatico, changing the decoration:
- You can serve it after keeping the dessert in the fridge at least for 2 hour.
- Once it is cooled down, slice and serve the dessert.
Hope you will like as much I did.
Alessandra Simple Recipes