Mushroom risotto: preparation and cooking
Preparation of risotto doesn’t require more than 20 minutes of your time. Once you have finished to read this article you will be self confident in how to make a good mushroom risotto and you will entertain your guests. It doesn’t need any skills, just follow my steps.
Key points for this mushroom risotto recipe: things to know before you start
- This recipe will serve 4 people.
- Its reparation time is around 15-20 minutes. Take 10 mins extra if it is your first time.
- Cooking time is around 20-25 minutes. Take 10 minutes extra if it is your first time in preparing this recipe.
- Total time needed to to prepare it: from 35 to an hour if you need time to have everything in place.
Required ingredients for the preparation of a mushroom risotto:
- 250 gr fresh mushrooms. They can be from different kinds like 50% chestnuts mushroom and 50% shiitake mushrooms. Otherwise you can use all 250 grams chestnuts mushrooms.
- 2 Litres vegetable broth ( made with 1-2 stock cubes of vegetable broth and 2 litres of water). If you like the taste of vegetable flavour you can use 2 stock cubes instead of one. Some cubes have strong flavour other less, so it is up to you. For example OXO stock cubes are quite light, while Maggi or Star cubes have stronger character.
- 50 grams dried mushroom, I advice you to get Porcini mushrooms for a better result and taste.
- 350 grams Arborio rice. This risotto is thicker than basmati and takes more time to cook but gives the right tickness to this recipe.
- 150 ml dry white wine. It doesn’t have to be a particular one. It is important only to be dry and not sweet, otherwise it will spoil the taste. Some grapes would be Sauvignon blanc, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay. I usually drink part of the wine in the bottle when I prepare this recipe.
- 50 -70 grams of finely grated Parmesan cheese. plus more for serving
- 1 onion to be chopped during the preparation.
- 1 -2 table spoon of olive oil, better if Extra virgin Oil.
Preparation of mushroom risotto: read carefully before start the job
- Wash throughly the onion and pat dry with a kitchen cloth. Do the same with the fresh chestnut mushrooms.
- Use a chopping board and and start cutting the onion thinly. Move the chopped onions into a bowl or a dish and now cut in 4 parts the chestnut mushrooms using the chopping board too.
- Take now the dry Porcini mushrooms and soak them in a small bowl or a cup with warm water for at least 10 minutes, then drain them well. I usually do not waste the porcini water left in the bowl. I will use it to add to the risotto while cooking.
- Now you need to make the vegetable broth. Take an empty water jar. Please note: water jars I found are capable to store 1 or 1.5 Liters of liquid. So as it so simple to make the broth you can start with one jar. If you will need more, you can do the same procedure and make it another liter. How to do the broth: pour boiled water into the jar and add 1 vegetable stock cube. Stir the water till the cube it dissolves. You have the broth. I use the tea kettle to boil the water as it is more practical.
- Frying the Onions and mushrooms: Take a large saucepan, pour 2 table spoons of olive oil and heat it for 2 minutes. Add the chopped onions and let them fry. Stir regularly in order to not burn them. After 3 minutes add the fresh chestnut mushrooms you already cut in 4 parts and fry them for a further 3-5 minutes. Stir them occasionally.
- Add the arborio rice, stirring it, until translucent around the edges, for about 1 minute. You can see the rice became to get a golden-brown color.
- Add wine, stirring, until evaporated, for about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low: this is the part where we need to put stock broth regularly and stir the risotto. It is an important part because if you let the rice dry it will burn it on the bottom of the pan.
- Add 3 glass of the stock broth and simmer, stirring again, until the liquid has been absorbed. Then you have to repeat again until the rice is cooked. This means the rice at the taste will be tender but still firm. If you want, you can add into the pot half porcini water left in the bowl. This at your discretion because they are quite bitter taste so not everybody might like it.
- Tip: rice is cooked “al dente” and the liquid is creamy.
- Tip: You might not need to use all the broth.
- Roughly chop the soaked porcini mushrooms and stir into the risotto, along with the parsley
- Grate a Parmesan cheese on top of the mushroom risotto. If you need, you can add a little pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately risotto, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Tip: Risotto’s little secret: it is usually enriched with ample butter at the end. But one bite of this version, which contains just one tbs butter or none, show how delectable the dish can be without all the extra fat and calories.
If you need any advise of extra tips please do not hesitate to write me a comment in the section below. I would glad to make your day with this excellent mushroom risotto.