How to prepare your hamburger easily at home.
There’s nothing better than a home-made hamburger. Everyone loves them, they’re easy to make and, if made with quality, fresh ingredients, they certainly don’t have to be unhealthy, especially if served with a salad and cherry tomatoes as I did. Once you’ve mastered this tasty basic recipe, you can make it your own with different herbs and toppings. “The sky’s the limit – that’s why cooking is so exciting ” as a great chef said .
Even if the winter is here and we spend more time at home, you can always have your hamburger.
Ingredients for 4-6 people :
6-6-2-1-1 which means
- 6 ounces of lean ground
- 6 slices of sandwich bread
- 2 ounces of bacon
- 2 onions
- milk : 200 ml
- pepper to taste
- Into a large bowl, soak the bread in milk, squeeze the bread and add ground beef.
- Mix well with ground beef, onion and bacon.
- With clean hands, scrunch and mix everything up well, until the mixture is smooth.
- Crack in the egg and add a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread the meat with a special press but if you don’t have it, just put a baking paper underneath the meat and roll it in equal measure: 1 cm and a half ( 3/4-inch thick) .You will use a cup to get a round shape. Now mould each piece (6) into a roundish shape
- Drizzle the burgers with oil, put on a plate, cover and place in the refrigerator until needed (this helps them to firm)
To cook hamburgers :
- Preheat a large grill pan or frying pan for about 4 minutes on a high heat.
- Turn the heat down to medium.
- Place the burgers on the grill pan or in the frying pan and use a turner to lightly press down on them, making sure the burger is in full contact.
- Cook them to your liking for 3 or 4 minutes on each side — you may need to cook them in two batches.
To serve your hamburger
- Wash and dry a few small lettuce leaves, tearing up the larger ones.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes.
- Peel and finely slice the red onion.
- Place all this on a platter and put it in the middle of the table with mayonnaise, ketchup and your favourite drinks.
- Transfer your burgers to another plate and carefully wipe your frying pan or grill pan clean with paper towels. Halve your burger buns and lightly toast them on the grill pan or in the frying pan.
- You could also serve your hamburgers with a chopped salad as I did.
- You can serve with chips too as I did and not only some salad, cherry tomatoes as I described above.
Happy Sunday lunch at home.
Alessandra Simple Recipes