How to prepare the cream filling for the most traditional sicilian dessert at home?
Yesterday, I prepared the filling for sicilian cannoli, which I bought in the Italian shop in Dublin.
Cannoli are Sicilian pastry desserts. The singular is cannolo. Cannoli originated in Sicily and are an essential part of Sicilian cuisine. They are also popular in Italian American cuisine and in the United States are known as a general Italian pastry, while they are specifically Sicilian in origin. In Italy they are commonly known as “cannoli siciliani”, Sicilian cannoli
Cannoli consist of tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling usually containing ricotta. They range in size from “cannulicchi”, no bigger than a finger, to the fist-sized proportions typically found in south of Palermo, Sicily.
Ingredients 4-5 people:
For the filling:
- chocolate chips
- candied fruits, finely chopped
- 250 gr ricotta cheese
- 100 gr sugar
- cherries as decoration
- 5 cannoli
- Pour ricotta and icing sugar into a large bowl and whisk until creamy.
- Add the chocolate chips and candied fruits. Set aside.
- Gently mix the ingredients without insisting too much.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Then after an hour, fill your 5 or 10 cannoli and decorate each one with half cheery per side.
- When done, put all of them again in the fridge until it is time to serve cannoli as dessert.
- Tip: cut the cherry in half and decorate them.
Ale Simple Recipes