Chocolate Cake is always the most favourite recipe in the whole World. Who doesn’t like Chocolate? So, what a great excuse to prepare a Chocolate Cake Recipe for Christmas without too much hassle and 100% Success.
List of the Ingredients you need to buy for this recipe:
- 400 grams Dark Chocolate (2 packages of plain chocolate as in the image above). I personally chosen Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa.
- 150 grams of caster sugar.
- 4 Fresh Eggs;
- 80 grams of butter. Better if for cakes, like Stork.
- 100 ml of Fresh Cream (the same used to make whipped cream).
- 100 grams cocoa powder.
- 1 tablespoon of rum: You can use Rum Essence from a vial or use any dark Rum from the bottle (Like Pampero or Bacardi).
Preparation: Follow these easy steps…
1. Melt the butter (80 grams) and 1 package of chocolate together in a double boiler.
What is a Double Boiler? A double boiler is a specialized set of pans consisting of a saucepan that holds hot water, and a bowl that fits securely over the saucepan. Chocolate is placed in the top bowl and allowed to melt it over gentle, indirect heat. If you don’t own a double boiler, any metal or glass bowl that fits snugly over the top of a saucepan can be used.
- Melting chocolate can be accomplished in a microwave or over a hot-water bath. There are a few fundamental guidelines to successfully melting chocolate in a double boiler:
- Make sure the chocolate is chopped into uniform pieces to ensure even melting. Never try to melt large bars or blocks of chocolate that have not been chopped.
- Avoid all contact with water! Chocolate will seize and become unworkable if it comes into contact with even a few droplets of water. Make sure your bowls, workstation, and spatulas are completely dry.
- Melt the chocolate slowly over low heat. Chocolate is very delicate and can become lumpy or grainy if overheated.
- Stir the chocolate frequently with a rubber spatula, once the outer edges start to melt.
2. Remove the bowl having inside the melted chocolate. Now add cream, sugar, cocoa, rum.
3. Take an empty bowl, add 4 eggs then whisk them.
4. Combine the whisked eggs to the mixture and blend well until liquid as shown in the photo below.
4. Place the mixture in a floured baking pan.
Easy Tip 1: It is better if you use a silicone pan. It will be easier to remove the cake when the chocolate cake is completely cooled down.
5. Bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180 ° C temperature. and check it regularly after 15 minutes.
Easy Tip 2: Test the cake density with a wooden toothpick
A toothpick will never work on a molten chocolate cake, which is moist in the center. Even when the cake it’s baked it will be moisten. As a thumb rule, a cake is done when:
-A toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
-The top feels springy. Just press on the surface of the cake with your finger. If the indentation springs back and disappears, the cake should be done.
-The cake is evenly browned and pulls away slightly–but not too much–from the sides of the pan.
When the cake is baked:
6. Cool completely: Now, it is possible to fill the chocolate cake with additional layer of chocolate cream. To do it, melt another chocolate package and cook it in a double boiler as explained before. You can decorate it with extra chocolate using a special spatula. Let cool completely after you finish decorating.
7. Finish decorating the chocolate cake with red graves and icing sugar.
This is my Xmas recipe for you all. Merry Xmas and Happy festivities.
Alessandra Neri, Ale Simple Recipes