How to prepare a lentils soup easily at home?
I love lentils which are my favourite vegetables, so healthy and simple to make at the same time. Any time is perfect for cooking lentils.
You can find lentils easily at the supermarket or at you local shops. Some supermarket might sell them already cooked. If you find lentils in a can, the preparation will take 15-20 mins. Otherwise, if you are using dried lentils, the preparation require to soak the dried lentils for at least 12 hours.
Ingredients 2 people:
- cherry tomatoes 4-5
- one onion
- fresh parsley
- one vegetable stock
- lentils 200-300 gr
- salt (only if it is really necessary)
- oil extra virgin of olive (to add at the end)
- Soak your dried lentils for at least 12 hours in a bowl with cold water. I usually prepare the lentils in the evening, so I can cook my lentils the following day at lunch or at dinner.
- Dry them.
- Then place your lentil in a pot with some cold water that will cover them.
- Add one chopped onion, 4-5 chopped cherry tomatoes.
- Tips: You have to cover the lentil with the water but do not add too much water, because it will be too liquid and you or your guests must don’t like it.
- Then add fresh chopped parsley to the casserole.
- Turn on the gas and let the veg cook over medium heat.
- During the cooking time, add one vegetable stock.
- Tip: Be careful, do not add salt before you have tasted its liquid. Remember, you can always add salt but you can’t go back if it is too salty. Sometime, one stock can be enough to make the dish tasty and eatable.
- The soup of lentils is ready when the lentils are tender.
- Tip: Check the lentils after 20-30 minutes and remember to stir time to time the lentils.
- When the lentils are cooked, turn off the gas and add a spon of extra virgin oil of olive.
- Serve warm with some parmesan on the top.
- Tip: If you added too much water, dont worry. If you don’t like to have too much liquid, you can add to the casserole an handful of rice (100 gr for 2 people) and when the rise it is cooked, you serve the lentils with rise. In this case, I didn’t add any rise. I served the soup with 2-3 of slices of bread.
- If don’t want to add any rise or break to solve the issue, doesn’t matter, take off some liquid but remember for the next time to add just a little of water enough to cover the lentils and vegetables.
I am a lentils lover, if you don’t know them, try this veg at least once. You will be addicted as I am.
Alessandra Simple Recipes