How to make a yogurt cake easily at home.
This is my favourite cake, simple, so tasty and soft at the same time. This also is my first cake recipe. I have been preparing it since 5 years ago. Tip: if you storage eggs in the fridge, take them out at least an hour before baking. This way the egg whites will whip better.
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Difficulty: easy
- Baking time: 45 minutes into the oven
- Flour for cakes
- 8 g baking powder
- Sunflower oil
- A pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 125 g yogurt (no low fat yogurt)
- Icing sugar
Tip: Set up all the ingredients first, so everything will be ready when you will start baking.
- First, pour the yogurt into a small bowl
- Wash the jar of yogurt and dry it well. You will use it to measure the ingredients (oil, flour and sugar).
- Secondly, separate the egg yolks from the whites and pour them into two separate medium bowl showed in the below picture.
- Now, combine egg yolks with 2 jars filled with sugar. Pour the sugar into the medium bowl where there are the eggs yolks.
- Beat the ingredients with electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir the mixture.
- Now, you have to measure 3 cups of flour.
- In the below photo, I showed how measure one cup of flour, you will need to repeat this step 3 times.
- Sift the flour and pour it into the same medium bowl with the egg yolks and the sugar already mixed.
- Add also the baking powder to the mixture (flour, egg yolks, sugar).
- Mix again all the ingredients gently to avoid lumps.
- Pour into the same bowl gradually 1/2 jar of oil.
- Pour now the yogurt into the same bowl.
- Mix well all the ingredients (flour, egg yolks, sugar, oil, yogurt) until smooth.
- In the below picture, I show you the second part of the preparation.
- Tip: Typically room temperature egg whites are called for in recipes, because colder eggs may take a few seconds longer to beat, but their maximum volume will be achieved. The real issue with egg whites is their freshness, not only temperature, so you can still beat whites right from the refrigerator, although, remember they may require slightly more beating time. Fresh eggs won’t ever have thicker whites and will reach more volume. At the same time they will have greater stability, when beaten, than older eggs.
- Beat the egg whites, which were left in their medium bowl at room temperature
- Add a pinch of salt to the whipped egg white.
- Add now the egg whites gently mixed to the previous mixture made (flour, sugar, egg yolks, oil and yogurt).
- Mix the ingredients together very gently using a spatula. In this way, you can keep the same consistency.
- The cake mixture have to look like the one shown in the below picture:
- Tip: In this recipe, I am using a silicone mould. If you are using another mould: butter your mould first.
- Pour the cake into the mould.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Check the cake baking with the toothpick test.
- Let the cake cool down well.
- Sprinkle the cake with icing sugar once cooled down.
- Serve the cake.
The shape of this cake is perfect to celebrate any festivities for example Mother’s day.
Wishing you a lovely evening, I really hope that you will enjoy this cake as much I did.
Please let me know what you think, leaving me a comment below.
Ale Simple Recipes