Tiramisu is a dessert that goes on well for all occasions, because everyone loves Tiramisu.
There are so many ways to prepare it, like a light or classic one. Some people also use mascarpone or ricotta cheese for making the cream. Another variation can be on the use of Pavesini (Italian biscuits), sponge or ladyfingers (Italian Savoiardi) for the base of Tiramisu.
An important thing to underline, you won’t waste any part of eggs and that the light Tiramisu has less fat because of the ricotta cheese instead of Mascarpone.
Ingredients for a light Tiramisu
- Bailies liqueur (100 ml);
- Ricotta Cheese (500 grams);
- Lady fingers or Italian Savoiardi (400 gr usually 1 pack);
- Eggs 4 (separate yolks and whites, you will use both);
- Icing sugar (2 tablespoons);
- Cocoa (2 tablespoons);
- Custard sugar (40 grams)
- Coffee (100 ml). Ok dried coffee.
The preparation of Tiramisu step by step:
- Make the coffee (100 ml) and let it cool down. Set it aside. Note: You can make it with dried coffee too.
- Then separate the yolks from the whites. You will need a second bowl for storing the whites.
- In a large bowl, add 4 egg yolks and 40 grams of sugar;
- Then mix the yolks and sugar with a mixer until you get a soft and creamy texture;
5. Now add the ricotta cheese to the mixture;
6. As shown above mix the ricotta cheese with the beaten eggs using a spatula. .
7. Now, take the other bowl with the egg whites and whip them until stiff;
8. Add the icing sugar and mix slowly the egg whites and the icing sugar using another spatula.
9. Now combine gently this whipped white mixture to the other one using a cleaned spatula.
10. For the base of Tiramisu you can use the sponge cakes, Italian Savoiardi or the ladyfingers.
11. In a tray, mix the coffee with the liqueur. The photo below show you how the mixture looks like. You can use any tray as this is only for dipping the Savoiardi biscuits.
12. Take another tray. The dimensions would be around 26 cm x 19 cm as reference.
The trick here is to create the layers of Savoiardi (soaked in coffee) alternating them with the cream you prepared combining the two mixtures.
- First make the first layer of coffee-liqueur soaked Savoiardi. Dip Savoiardi in the coffee liquid, then place one after the other in the baking tray (see pictures below).
- Cover the first layer of Savoiardi (or Ladyfingers) with 1/3 of the mixture cream.
- Cover then with another layers of Savoiardi and continue until you used all the ingredients. Remember that you have to top the tray with the cream and not with the Savoiardi.
- At this point, you will have probably reached the top of your baking tray. Well done!
With the ingredients I gave you, I made 3 layers of Savoiardi. Tip: Remember to soak them (one after the other) in the liquid first and soon start to make the first layer of savoiardi or they will break.
- Once you have topped with mixture cream, sprinkle with cocoa the top.
- The tiramisu is now ready to be stored in the fridge for 1 hour at least.
- After 1 hour you can serve it. If you find there is less cocoa powder on top you can re-sprinkle it when you are serving.
Tip: You can buy few small bowls-glasses and make small tiramisu with the ingredients that I gave you. You can serve a small tiramisu to celebrate Saint Valentine or a Birthday or just as your own dessert on weekend. This is fantastic idea, isn’t it?
Oh, and one more thing: let me know what do you think!