This post will teach you how to make Bechamel Sauce from scratch. An easy and cheapest way to have fresh “Italian Besciamella” at home whenever you need.
Bechamel sauce features in a variety of dishes, including macaroni cheese (made with a touch of cream and grated Gruyere or Emmental), cauliflower cheese, Italian lasagna or Savoury Crepes.
Ingredients required to make a 500 ml of bechamel sauce
With the following ingredients you will make around 500 – 800 grams of Bechamel sauce, for an average of 5 people.
- 50 gr butter
- 50 gr plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- One pinch of salt
- One pinch of ground nutmeg
- freshly ground white pepper (optional)
Preparation of bechamel sauce (Required 20 mins)
- Melt the butter in a small, heavy- based saucepan over a low heat.
- Then add the flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, and cook gently for 2-3 minutes to make white roux.
- Pour the cold milk on to the roux, whisking as you do so, and bring to the boil over medium heat, whisking continuously.
- When the sauce comes to the boil, lower the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minute, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt and little nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- TIP: Bechamel sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a bain-marie if you need warm bechamel.