Varying your lunch or dinner is important to avoid getting bored with the same meals all the time and to ensure you have a balanced diet. In this post, you can find a simple recipe to make a minestrone soup.
All you have to do is to get the ingredients and chop them. This recipe doesn’t require you to be a master chef. With this in mind, let’s cook together.
The first thing to remember is that minestrone is a thick soup made with vegetables, often with addition of pasta or rice. Secondly, common ingredients include beans, onions, celery, carrots, stock, chickpeas, courgettes and tomatoes.
Thirdly, the ingredients involved are usually the same, but it also depends on what vegetables are in season. It can also be vegetarian or containing meat since you can play with the ingredients.
My personal Minestrone recipe makes roughly 1.8 litres of soup without adding pasta or rice. A lunchtime portion is 600 ml. Serves 4 (Each serving contains approx 226 calories).
Ingredients to make Minestrone Soup:
- 2 onions, chopped;
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil;
- 2 carrots, chopped;
- 1 green pepper, chopped;
- 4 garlic gloves;
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped;
- 2 celery stick, chopped;
- 1 red pepper, chopped;
- 1 litre of stock (chicken or vegetable);
- 400 gr can of chopped tomatoes;
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree;
- 400 gr can of chick peas;
- 2 sprigs of oregano;
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Preparation of minestrone soup:
- First, place the oil in a pot and add in the onions;
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil for 10 minutes at medium heating until soft;
- Then add the carrots, peppers, garlic, celery, stock, tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes at medium heating or until the vegetables are just cooked;
- Then, add the chickpeas;
- Cook the ingredients altogether for a further 5 minutes.
- Furthermore, add the oregano and thyme.
- Finally, serve hot.
If any minestrone is left, you can fill it into a plastic container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Oh, and one more thing: let me know what do you think. Buon Appetito!